And it was as Becky said ... when offering to haul our luggage back to Chicago with her (she drove, we will fly standby as far as O'Hare) ... "Get your packing list together, Mom. Wait ... who am I talking to?" And she was correct. I not only had no need for a packing list ... but the bag was already packed!! Oh, yes, the carry-on is still under scrutiny from Rob ... and yes, despite my best efforts I overpack!
Today we are back to the myriad of errands required to close up the house for 3 weeks. Newspapers, mail ... to name but two. But it was so wonderful to have my girls here! And on Wednesday night ... when, by a miracle, there was no rain--we took Sabrina to her first baseball game. Yes, she was more interested in the bouncy house but as Rob and I discussed this morning ... she did watch some of the game. (Enough to question why she wasn't playing ... and on the night in question ... she might have played a better game than some of the Salt Dogs!)
As for the packing ... sigh. Yes, both Rob and I agreed that Jean will get everything into a "rucksack" and look gorgeous each and every day. But I told Rob that I fall into the Kristen Graber camp who admittedly overpacks ... despite the fact that SHE also could wear a pillowcase and look gorgeous. One of our trips to Italy involved a vacation with Kris and Nate to Tuscany. We left their house in Polcenigo with a firm warning from the guys that IF we were taking a full suitcase, we'd better wear it all. On Day 5, Kristen turned to me and said ... how are you doing for clothes? I made a face and she said, "Me, too ... but I've decided to start changing my outfits twice a day to prove them wrong." LOVE her sense of humor.
For me ... packing is problematic due to the uncertainty of the weather. Or rather ... the certainty. It. will. rain. And when it rains, I get cold ... so I have tons of layers for the trip ... and while I may not wear it all ... I will likely NOT have something I really need. That's how my packing goes!

No comments:
Post a Comment