Sunday, June 14, 2015

A funny thing happened on the way to the ... Ring of ...

We were nearly packed and ready to leave for the Ring of Kerry when our gracious landlady stopped by the townhome to see if we needed anything. No, we reply proudly. We are ready to tackle the Ring of Kerry. Aach, she says. And why are you thinking of the Ring of Kerry ... what about Dingle or the Ring of Beara. 

I explained that we were headed to Dingle on Monday but today was reserved for the Ring of Kerry. John then asked her how she would rate the three peninsulas ... 1st, she says, is the Ring of Beara, 2nd is Dingle, and 3rd and a "walking from behind but can't catch up" is the Ring of Kerry. She then explained that because it has no tourists ... it can be done in 2 to 3 hours. 

We all felt that right about following her advice ... particularly John, who had read that the Ring of Kerry could take upwards of 8 hours. It was most definitely the right choice .... and Jean's pictures will "beara" me out at some point (ouch). However, we left at 10:00 and rolled into the townhouse's garage at 6:00 p.m. I wonder what time we would have been home from the Ring of Kerry? Estimating midnight! 

It is true: along the way we took some time out for tea; talked with several of the locals in the handful of towns that we passed; considered taking a tram to Dursey Island but decided against it since we wouldn't be back to the mainland until 7:00; noshed on some "chips;" had a delightful conversation with a young lad of 10 (ALL of the Irish can converse ... it is their national pastime); stopped in Eyeries for a lunch that would put anything in NYC to shame; and, thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. 

The four of us are opting for a nice dinner at the townhouse ... we needed to soak up as much of its ambience as possible ... and so Jean & I ran into the local Super Valu for some chicken. Although the store was open ... everything inside was closing or was closed up. (Deli, butcher's case, etc.) We found something we both liked but again ... closed up. So I went to the front of the store to explain my dilemma to a clerk. She couldn't help us ... nope, couldn't get it out of the case. So back I went to explain it to Jean ... then I said, Hmm ... something she said made me wonder ... can we open this case from the front? 

As we were looking for a handle to the counter's front, we realized simultaneously that the case was already OPEN. We were still giggling at our ineptitude by the time we reached the "men." Oh, Jean and I have had such laughs on this trip. We are definitely bonding over the silliest of them. 

Stay tuned for pictures AFTER I'm home ... but here is a map of where we were today. Gorgeous scenery ... the best I've seen outside of Norway .. and, given the solitude and serenity. perhaps the best! 

We are now enjoying a glass of Prosecco ... slainte. 

No comments:

Post a Comment