Friday, June 12, 2015

Sometimes I forget that I'm driving ...

As I have mentioned, driving on the right side of the road is not for the weak hearted. (Nor is riding with someone who is new to the process, I assure you!) John is a terrific driver ... and has done an excellent job of getting us from place to place. But today ... today we went adventuring with no true goal in sight ... just to drive and see some of the countryside around Kinsale. Within an hour, we realized that Kinsale WAS the destination spot and we had no need to drive around the countryside. Kinsale was voted one of the 10 prettiest towns in Ireland and a quick peek at some of the surrounding towns emphasized why Kinsale won! So today we spent more time hanging out in the harbour (it's harbour in Ireland ... in case you think I added that extra "u" by mistake), shopping in lovely boutique stores, and having a late lunch at the Fishy Fishy Cafe. 

The Fishy Fishy Cafe is well known here in Ireland and in England because the chef/owner, Martin Shanahan, has his own television show (think Bobby Flay or Gordon Ramsay) in the UK and in Ireland. We were impressed. None of us hold ourselves out as foodies ... especially when it comes to seafood ... but when the presentation takes your breath away (and the Euros fly right out of your pocket) you are generally in for a treat. And it was. So put Fishy Fishy on your list for when you are anywhere in County Cork ... and book yourself a place to stay in Kinsale for a minimum of a week! 


As for the subject heading ... well, despite all the accolades that I can pile on both Rob and John for their driving and navigating ... John managed to scare me a bit today when he said, "I'm getting the hang of this. For the first few days, I would forget that I was the driver." What? Really? How? Both he and Rob have crawled into the passenger side of the car when they are driving ... with plenty of razzing about that. And yes, along with driving on the right side of the road ... the driver sits on the right side!

Tomorrow we head out to Kenmare ... and from there, the Ring of Kerry and the Dingle Peninsula (separate days!). We look forward to being on the road again but will miss our home away from home at the Chart House on the Kinsale harbour.  

No comments:

Post a Comment